Tuesday 16 April 2013

Colour Enhancements and Superimposition

Today I entered the final stage of editing with colour enhancements and adding the credits.

Colour Enhancements

Now that the sound has been laid onto the opening and is in time, it was time to start altering the colour on the opening for each different scene. In order to do this, I have used Final Cut Pro X, altering the colour levels, saturation and exposure on each individual scene. I feel that the colour tones support the mood of the scene and give the audience an indication of what may follow. For the opening scene, I have crushed the blacks on the exposure levels of the scene in order to make the rooms and the characters appear darker as well adding a slightly blue tone to the scene. I have done this to emphasise the cold, bitterness of the scene and give the audience an insight into the killer's personality. This is similar to Black Swan, which I analysed for my research and found that using low levels of light can give the audience an idea of a certain character's personality therefore I have decided to use a slight blue tone to make not only the scene look cold and dark, but the killer too. For the second scene however, I wanted the crime scene to appear warmer than the previous scene to let the audience know that the danger from the previous scene has passed even though it begins with a close up on the dead body. I have done this by not crushing the exposure of the scene too much and giving the scene a touch of red which carries connotations of heat and is therefore a sign of safety to the audience. However I have not just put a red tone above the scene as all the colours within the scene would have been too bright therefore I lowered the saturation levels on the scene to ensure that the audience understand that, even though this scene is safer, they are still based in a very dangerous location where this could change at any second. This is supported by my colour alterations the alleyway scene which are very similar to those in the opening scene. This has been used to suggest to the audience that the killer is going to strike again as soon as the parallel editing begins. The audience see a clear contrast between the safe and dangerous scenes in a movie, possibly into the minds of the killer and Hudson and how they see the world. This is an idea that could be used throughout the film to show a clear divide in the two characters.

Superimposition

For the opening credits of the thriller, I plan to use a similar to technique to Quentin Tarantino. I have noticed through watching a number of Tarantino's movies that he often includes many of the people who worked on the film at the very beginning, this may be due to ensuring that those who played a big role in creating the film get the recognition they deserve from those who enjoy the film. I plan to emulate his technique by having my opening credits after the title DUALITY is shown at the end through having a list of names of those who featured and worked on the opening scrolling up at they very end. The thriller will of course start with the name of my production company, Evil Twin Productions, and be followed by the names of those who wrote and directed the thriller opening including myself. The rest of the credits will feature after the end of the second with Tame being reintroduced for the title of the film, this then runs for around twenty seconds with the names of others featured in the production of the film as the song draws to a close. I have also arranged the superimpositions to fade out, similar to the killer's actions in both his scenes as he seems to just appear and slip away again without anyone else noticing that he was ever there. I have also used the Oh No font that I mentioned in a previous post.



No comments:

Post a Comment