Friday 12 April 2013

Use of Postmodernist Techniques

A postmodernist film attempts to subvert the common codes and conventions of cinema including narrative structure and characterisation to alter the audience's suspension of belief. Within the film industry, postmodernism plays a huge role in western culture in countries such as the US where postmodernist films often make reference back to classic films from earlier parts of film history. I feel that I am emulating this technique through my use of propositions. I have decided to place an old typewriter which I found in school in the back of the second scene where an extra detective will be typing, this will be a reference to the classic
1980 thriller The Shining, I feel that I am using a number of elements from The Shining apart from the typewriter as the killer in my opening was heavily influenced by the acting of Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance. Another film which I feel has influenced the writing stage and certainly the killer of my opening is American Psycho, I plan to show my killer's passion for murder through his movements during the opening scene and how he picks himself up so calmly after killing another human being, following in the footsteps of the twisted Patrick Bateman of both the film and the novel. Postmodernism can be seen in a number of ways including the alteration of the protagonist's mind. I plan for the protagonist to also be played by the antagonist showing a clear alteration in the mind of Hudson as his murderous side seems to just switch on and off which him even being aware that he is killing these people.

However the use of postmodernism in films such as Pulp Fiction often indicates to the audience not to take the film too seriously and point out to the audience that it is just a film. I do not intend for this to be the case for my opening as I still want to keep the audience on the edge of their seats as they witness this mad, well dressed killer slaughter innocent people for no apparent reason and a troubled police detective struggle to catch him although they look strangely alike. I feel that through only using the postmodernist effects of referencing to other films and showing an alteration in the protagonists mind set, I am not taking anything away from the codes and conventions of the thriller genre I am using to make the audience feel uneasy as they are only being used to present how gruesome and cold blooded the antagonist of the opening is.

No comments:

Post a Comment