Sunday 14 April 2013

Entering the Editing Stage

Final Cut Pro X

Although I have started the editing of scene three as I have posted it before, I have today started work on scene's one and two which I have recently finished filming. As I have done with scene three, I have decided to use Final Cut Pro X as the editing software I am going to use. This was an easy decision after working with iMovie on both the enigma and 180 degree rule videos during the planning stage of creating my thriller opening. I feel that Final Cut Pro X gives me more of an opportunity to explore various things I can do with my footage whereas through working with iMovie I have found that the software has many limitations and the end product from this software often looks unprofessional and somewhat lazy. Final Cut Pro X also allows me to explore different transitions between the scenes and will offer various ways to include superimpositions compared to the very limited number of options provided on iMovie. Seeing as I have to overdub all the sound myself, Final Cut Pro X is the desired software out of the two as it allows me to go beyond basically laying on all the sound and opens up a new world of ways to mix the audio as well as improving the colour of my opening to make it resemble an actually thriller opening.

Starting to Edit

As I entered the editing stage, I decided to keep to the format of my final shot list and compile the best shots I have and start to work from there. I found that I had two or three good takes for each shot which was a huge benefit to me just in case anything was at fault with one of the shots, I had at least one back up take I could use. Unfortunately at the moment I am not aware of how to compile a split screen shot, which I desire to use when the killer is first introduced with one shot of his shoulders and one of his feet, however I plan to find out on the first week back when I show three media experts what I have so far to see where I can make some improvements. There are a number of shots I had to trim such as the door kick in scene one which now does not show the door swing open, the shot shows the kick and quickly cuts to the blonde woman's shocked face to ensure that none of the other side of the room was included in the shot as that is where I stored the classroom's furniture during filming. There are a number of shots I plan to trim even further such as the extreme close up of the woman screaming which at the moment I feel maybe a fraction too long if I plan to maintain a fast pace to the opening scene and keep the audience feel a level of discomfort with how fast all these events are transpiring.

Even though I have been told that the shot of the final stab in the opening scene is too shaky, I feel that this represents how unstable the killer is as the shot appears to be from his eyes as he stabs her one final time. Even though the opening so far is very different to what I had initially planned, I feel that through quicker and fewer cuts, I am able to present the same murder with a higher level of tension as the audience will constantly feel uneasy and as if they have been forced onto this fast roller coaster which ends in the deal of a supposedly innocent young woman. I have also included fade outs on the end of both scene one and scene two as well as maintaining the flash at the very beginning of scene two. The opening shot for the second scene follows closely up the corpse's body whereas before merely presented the body in a wide shot, the audience will now feel uneasy with how close they are to the corpse and how they are being forced to follow the camera up her body. I am also pleased with the low angle two shot I have of Hudson and Detective 1, this shot will make the audience feel they are witnessing the conversation from the perspective of the corpse and will indicate that both detectives have a high status before they even start talking. I feel that I may need  to cut the tracking shot of the body across the coffee table slightly as it lasts a very long time however the shot will give the audience obscure vision of what is going on therefore making them feel anxious. Scene three has had very few alterations from when you last saw the scene, only minor changes with the size of some cuts and is near enough ready to be overdubbed with sound and have colour enhancements added to it.

Here is a very rough version of the thriller opening so far, I recognise that it still contains all the original sound which will be overdubbed towards the end of the editing process, around the same time the opening will also have colouring enhancements.


No comments:

Post a Comment